Sunday, April 20, 2008

Evolution of a bird nest

Last year I had a family of chickadees living in a bird house on my deck.
This was the inside of the nest after the babies had fledged. Note: one unhatched egg.


This spring I decided I should empty the nest material, there was at least 5 inches of old nesting material. I took the bird house down and opened it up and it was totally and completely empty!
Some very eager bird was already house keeping. All that nesting material was gone!
The next day I snapped this picture: a thin layer of fresh green moss.

day 2: poly-fill from someones lawn chair cushion.

day three: more poly-fill and some dryer lint

day four: more lint (note pink lint) and some larger pieces of poly-fill

day five: moss, poly-fill, dryer lint and animal hair

day six: outside view with some building insulation on the outside of the entrance hole.



day six: building insulation



day seven: a lot more animal hair, looks like raccoon

So, all in all these little birds have been busy. I don't know if they are chickadees again or if it is another variety of bird, time will tell: stay tuned . . .

No comments: